Sunday 20 December 2015

Vegetable and Egg Slice



Vegetable and Egg Slice with Cheese

I just could not resist getting in one more breakfast or brunch recipe  before my holiday break. I'm heading out for a few days over the festive season to catch up with family, head to the beach and relax for a few days before the new year begins again.

Where ever you are and whether you choose to celebrate or not, I wish you a safe and happy holiday and thank you for stopping by and sending me many comments over the past 12 months. See you in 2016!

What's your favourite breakfast? Are you savoury or sweet? Or both? Traditionally during the festive season, I try not to eat too much at breakfast because I know lunches and dinners are going to be big!

The last time I hosted a brunch on Christmas day I really wanted to have a great variety of dishes to select from. Often the weather is unpredictable at this time of year so I needed hot and cold options but I didn't want to spend too long in the kitchen.

My good friend Steph sent me a recipe she had pulled out of the 'Australian Women's Weekly', many years ago, called a 'Cheesy Bacon and Egg Slice'. Now while the idea is great,  there was simply not enough green things in it for me. 

Based on the same principle as the slice recipe, I have made this into a very different meal with lots more vegetables. The slice is very colourful and of course you could select a different range of vegetable for this dish if you wish. 

What I like most about is that you prepare it all, put it in the fridge overnight and bake it the following day. So easy and yet it is deliciously filling and full of goodness.  Hope you enjoy it.




Vegetable and Egg Slice with Cheese - Serves 6 - 8

Ingredients

4 eggs beaten
750ml milk, soy or almond
a small handful fresh parsley, chopped
few sprigs of thyme leaves only
4 asparagus spears chopped
1 green pepper chopped
1/2 red pepper chopped
1 small loaf of white bread unsliced
200g mushrooms chopped
1 tablespoon dijon mustard
2 tablespoons worcester sauce (optional)
2 tablespoon mayonnaise
salt and pepper
2 zucchini thinly sliced
200g grated cheese, mixture of cheddar(tasty) and parmesan
butter or oil for greasing


You will need an oven proof dish, approx 3 litres for this recipe. 

Beat eggs and milk together and add salt and pepper, parsley and thyme.

Cut off all of the crust of the white bread (save these and make breadcrumbs)  and dice the bread into small cubes.

Prepare dish by greasing the bottom and sides with a little butter or oil.

Place the diced bread in a layer at the bottom of the dish.

On top of the bread add green pepper, red pepper, asparagus, mushrooms, zucchini and grated cheese.

Add mayonnaise, dijon mustard, worcestershire sauce into the egg and milk mixture and tip this over all the bread and vegetables.

Now cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge overnight.

Cook uncovered in a preheated oven 180º/350 for 50 - 60 minutes until the top is nice and brown and the liquid has evaporated.

Set aside for 10 minutes before serving with a green salad.





1 comment: