Sunday 17 August 2014

Chick Peas - Spicy Soup and Hummus


I have a confession to make - I love chickpeas! I love spicy food! Would you have ever guessed this? Apart from their protein value Chick Peas are high in fibre, iron, folate, phosphorus, low GI and they are very, very versatile.

A couple of weeks ago I posted my fav Chick Pea Soup recipe, but with the winter chills continuing I really wanted some more warming soup. Also to make it even better, my local supermarket was selling tins of my favourite brand of chick peas brand for only $1 per tin, so I stocked up and just couldn't resist making this.

I have a really fast recipe for making Hummus too, so while my husband made me a some toast the other morning I whipped up a batch of hummus. It took me the same time to make it as the toast took to be made and buttered.  So today I am treating you to two recipes - Spicy Lentil Soup with Chickpeas and Fast Hummus. I suppose the best way to enjoy these would be to make some toast, slather it with Hummus and dip it in to the hot soup - Ok even I may find that too weird. Enjoy!



Spicy Lentil Soup with Chickpeas 

Ingredients

3 cloves garlic
1 tin of cooked chickpeas 400g net weight (Annalisa is my favourite brand)
fresh ginger 2.5 cms coarsely grated
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp ground coriander
1 fresh red chilli finely chopped
pinch saffron soaked in 3 tbls boiling water
1 cup red/orange lentils
400g tin crushed tomatoes
1 litre of vegetable stock or use water and stock cube
1/2 cup chopped coriander
1/2 cup chopped parsley
1 tbl olive oil
1 onion finely chopped
pinch salt and freshly ground black pepper

In a large saucepan, heat oil over low heat and add onion, cook stirring for about 5 minutes. Add garlic, chilli, coriander, cumin. Add saffron and water, lentils, tomatoes and stock. 

Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
Add chick peas, salt and pepper and simmer for another 5-10 minutes. 
Stir in fresh coriander and parsley. Serve immediately.

There is no need to add anything else to this dish, it is perfect by itself. A piece of sour dough bread for dunking is optional.




Fast Hummus
I have made this Hummus many, many times. It will turn out well each time, but you have to adjust it to suit yourself. Maybe you prefer a little more lemon in yours or less garlic. This is up to you to perfect it to your personal taste. This is a good place to start.

1 tin cooked chick peas 440g net weight

2 large tbls tahini
2 cloves garlic
4 tbls lemon juice
3 tbls olive oil
salt and pepper
sweet paprika

Place all of these ingredients except  1 tablespoon of oil, salt and pepper and paprika in a food processor. Blitz until all the ingredients are well combined. I like to have mine with a little texture, but if you prefer it to be smooth then keep processing until you reach the consistency that you like.

Spoon out into a dish, add salt and pepper.
Drizzle the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil over the top and add a good pinch of paprika. Serve.

This should keep in the fridge for a couple of weeks, but I only ever manage to keep it a few days!



No comments:

Post a Comment