Friday 18 April 2014

Food and Painting

My painting journey continues with the experimentation of 'Colour Field' type paintings. This style of painting typically describes often large-scale canvases dominated by flat expanses of colour and having a minimum of surface detail. I have started with three small canvases to try out a variety of techniques. These are painted with acrylics on canvas with oil glazes to bring out the colours.




I haven't yet committed to a large canvas but I'm working on some small drawings to see where they take me. If anything turns out OK I will post a photo. I am still very reticent about sharing these paintings, so I would really appreciate some feedback from you because that is the best way to learn.

The paintings are on good quality 25 x 25 cms canvas and they are all for sale. Send me an email or leave me a comment if you are interested.

I have some photographs of the plums I bought to make jam and on my next canvas I would like to try and capture the silver grey blooms on this beautiful fruit. 

My favourite things to paint recently have been flowers and fruit and I am trying to find enough free time to work on one of these large canvases every few months. I'm not very disciplined and many things distract me..........
Apart from the plums, I have been eyeing up some nice quinces with their knobbly shapes creating interesting contours and shadows. 
Speaking of colour, one of the most colourful dishes you can prepare comes from Israel. Shatshouka was introduced into Israel from Turkey via the Middle East. In many countries in the Middle East you will find variations of this dish; Turkey, Iran and parts of Africa but I believe that this is typically Israeli. 

This super recipe gets its colour and piquancy from ripe tomatoes and peppers and is an excellent dish to serve at any time of day. I must admit that I have doctored it a little. If I serve it for lunch or dinner I add eggplant because I like the flavours together, but if I want to serve it as part of a breakfast menu I leave them out. Believe me, the eggplant somehow enhances the flavours and if you leave them in, you will understand why!

Shakshouka
Ingredients


I tbsp olive oil
1 small brown onion diced
1 clove garlic minced
1 red or green capsicum (pepper) finely diced
4 cups of chopped ripe tomatoes or 2 tins of tomatoes
2 cups chopped eggplant (Aubergine) (Optional)
2 tbls tomato puree
1 tsp chilli powder or more to taste (depending on how hot your chilli powder is)
1 tsp sweet paprika
Pinch cayenne pepper
Salt and pepper
pinch sugar
2 tbls chopped parsley
4 - 6 eggs

  1. You will need a fairly big skillet or frypan for this recipe.
  2. Heat olive oil in pan and add onion, cook for a few minutes until it becomes transparent and add garlic, eggplant and pepper and cook for 5 - 10 minutes until it begins to soften. 
  3. Now is the time to add spices; chilli powder, paprika, and tomato paste, salt, pepper and the tomatoes. Cook this on your cooktop for about 20 minutes. Add a sprinkling of cayenne pepper - be careful it is very hot . Add a pinch of sugar and correct the seasoning at this stage.
  4. Depending on the number of eggs you want to use, make depressions in the tomato mixture and carefully crack eggs one at a time into the depressions, making sure they are well spaced. The eggs will cook in the mixture. Cover the pan with a lid and allow 10 - 15 minutes for the eggs to cook. Keep checking that the sauce does not reduce too much as it will burn.
  5. Once cooked garnish with parsley and enjoy. Serve with crusty bread for breakfast or a light salad for lunch or dinner.


No comments:

Post a Comment