Tuesday 27 March 2018

Open Garden Scheme - Things I Learnt

If you want to sticky beak around other people's gardens, legally,  then feast your eyes on South Australia's Open Garden Scheme.

This is a great way to find out what other people are growing and how they are growing it. Sneak a peak at their veggie plots (sample a baby tomato - naughty) and the myriad of tricks to learn from some of the really talented gardeners that open their spaces to the public.

In some places you even get invited inside the house - bonus!

I am gobsmacked at how amazing and talented people are in planting up their patch. And as a garden lover, it's fantastic to learn new tricks, new ways with old plants and how to add a bit of colour and interest into dark, shady areas. Or how to hide an ugly fence with a crazy climber I would never have thought of.

I visited 3 gardens in spring and a couple in summer but I chose ones that were completely opposite to the area where I live. 

Firstly the two I was particularly interested in were in the middle of the city at Mile End. I wanted to check out how they managed to get great vegetables growing when the temperatures soar into the 40's, while mine wither away to nothing when we have continually hot days. And wow, did they have some great vegetables. 


Hector's Patch - Mile End

I've not kept chickens in my current garden, but I sure would like to find a little space to put some and both of these gardens managed to squeeze in chicken coops. So I am now hell bent on finding a spot to have 2 or 3 Bantams. So cute!

Mile End Village Garden

If you get a chance visit The Garden in Eden Hills, South Australia you wont be disappointed. I was lucky enough to photograph this garden before the crowds arrived. Professionally designed and lovingly tended by a couple of dedicated gardeners, this garden screams 'romance'. Stone walls, woodland plantings, roses, chickens, bees and a vegetable plot all add to the ambience of the garden. How they fit it all in and still retain this air of elegance is truly beyond me. 



The Garden, Eden Hills

But back to reality!

Here's my list of things that I learnt that I need to work on in my garden;

- Start a new compost heap and design a different way of composting which suits my needs. I can tick that off already started. 

- Put more flowering plants amongst the vegetables - New beds have been dug and mulched, just waiting for the autumn rains now and planting can begin.

- Build a small shade house to protect seedlings and more delicate plants - have to find someone to do that for me before next spring.

- Art adds a great dimension to the plantings. - Add more art to my garden or make it more prominent - I am working on an idea for a new pathway.

- Plant more vegetables in pots. - I've started this already putting beans in a large pot and after only a few weeks they are already producing.

- New ways to support growing vegetables without using stakes. Great ideas for next spring - you will have to wait and see them in action.

- How to protect your vegetables from the ravages of summer - Ikea beach umbrellas now on my list.


Tickle Tank, Mt Barker
The last garden I visited was Tickle Tank,  in Mt Barker. It  was terrific. I won't say a lot about the garden because I have included a link to give you the history of the house and garden and I think my photos will inspire you. There is so much to like about this place; mosaics, artwork, the plantings themselves and the craziness of the whole idea.  The garden has been featured on ABC's Gardening program too. If you get the opportunity to see it next spring then make it a date!

For a $6 - 8 entry fee, I have learnt a whole lot of new tricks, I've had a great chat to few more gardeners and my enthusiasm for my own place has never been stronger. Roll on autumn and winter and let's get cracking.















2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing these photos and your to do list. I am looking forward to seeing how your garden is developing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like the photos Katie. As you can ell I am a great advocate for the SA Open Garden Scheme. I've started a renovation of my herb and flower garden and have some ideas for incorporating more art in my garden. Watch this space.

      Delete